Bergen is a city situated inside the fjord of Byfjorden on Norway’s west coast. In 1360, the Hanseatic trading post or kontor called “Tyske Bryggen” (German kontor) was opened there. Bergen was Norway’s most important port and largest city until 1880.
The German kontor in Bergen was built around 1360. It was the last of the four Hanseatic kontors that was founded in Bergen. Grains, flour, malt, beer and fishing equipment were exported to Europe from Bergen. Thanks to its export of stockfish, blubber and animal skins the German kontor weathered hard times and even controlled the trade in stockfish as a monopoly. In 1978 the Hanseatic quarter in Bryggen was made a UNESCO world heritage site.
Bryggen Trade (Hanseatic Quarter No.23)
Today the building is home to a textile shop.
Enhjørningen (Bryggen No.29)
A fish restaurant with old floors and painted wood walls occupies the building today. A unicorn - Enhjørningen in Norwegian - adorns its façade.
The building forms part of a courtyard formed by the kontor houses situated in the port. The buildings have open-air and roofed passages, among them Finnegarden and Bellgarden.