The former capital of Poland, which today is the country’s second largest city, has been a member of the Hanseatic League since 1430. Its name, Krakow, can be traced back to the tribal prince and likely founder of the city, Krak (or Krakus/Gracchus). The city is known primarily for its grand historic architecture reflecting the art of past periods.
Bardowicker Speicher (Deichstraße 27, Nicolaifleeth)
Bardowicker Speicher in Deichstraße is one of the oldest extant warehouses in Hamburg. Most of Hamburg’s buildings were destroyed in the Great Fire in 1842. Thanks to the “Rettet die Deichstraße” [save Deichstraße] association that collected donations to preserve Deichstraße, the houses were not demolished in 1970. Today Deichstraße is an historic pedestrian precinct.
The Jagiellonian University was founded in 1364. In 1400, King Wladyslaw II Jagiello acquired the building which from then on housed the university. In the middle of the 15th century it was renamed to “Collegium Maius” and remodelled several times. Buildings were added, and their late Gothic cloisters have been preserved until today. The upper section of the oldest university in Poland housed the professors who lived and worked there. In the lower section they received their students.