Bremen had been a member of the Hanseatic League four times - the last time until 1669, which made it one of the last 9 Hanseatic cities. Bremen’s interest in the Hanseatic League was often self-serving: If the League was of advantage to merchants, they made use of it, however they also didn’t hesitate to do business that was opposed to the interests of the Hanseatic League.
St Peter‘s House in Böttcherstraße
In the Middle Ages Böttcherstraße used to be an important link connecting the River Weser and the market place. The many barrel makers - Böttcher - who lived there gave the street its name. Built from 1923 to 1927 the building was used as a “House of Gastronomy”. It once had a lecture hall - the Golden Hall - and an elaborately designed restaurant which was partly destroyed in 1944. Reconstruction works were only completed in 1954. Today, St Peter’s House is home to a restaurant, a gastro-gallery and a fine-wine merchant.