Our theme world “The HANSEATIC LEAGUE in EUROPE” wouldn’t be complete without the queen of the HANSEATIC LEAGUE - the Hanseatic city of Lübeck - which is located just 30km away from HANSA-PARK. Lübeck had been the “headquarters” of the Hanseatic League since 1361, whose fleet comprised up to 200 merchant ships in its heydays.
Lübeck Town Hall
The town hall of Lübeck is one of the most beautiful Gothic-style brick buildings of its kind in Germany. Construction started in 1226 shortly after Lübeck was granted Reichsfreiheit, an imperial charter, and became a free imperial city. The town hall was completed in 1308. The addition with its huge façade featuring differently coloured bricks and sharp towers was only erected in 1435. The Renaissance staircase on Breite Straße was built in 1594 based on the design of the Flemish sculptor Robert Coppens. It led to the former treasure of the town hall, the Kriegsstube (war room), which was destroyed in March 1942 in the first heavy air raid on Lübeck and not rebuilt. The name shows that the Hanseatic League not only had economic power but political power too, giving it a say in decisions on peace or war.
Lübeck’s Holstentor arguably is the most famous intact late medieval city gate in Germany and one of Lübeck’s landmarks. It was built around 1464 to 1478 as part of a modernisation of the fortifications on the River Trave. The premier purpose of the gate was to defend the inner city, but it also served to represent the Hanseatic City of Lübeck.